PROVIDENCE, R.I. [Brown University] — University Chancellor Thomas J. Tisch, Brown President Ruth J. Simmons, and other members of the Brown Corporation will take part in official groundbreaking ceremonies marking a major extension of facilities at the Wendell R. Erickson ’19 Athletics Complex. The ceremony will begin at 3:30 p.m. Friday, May 28, 2010, on the site of the former Smith Swim Center, Hope Street at Cushing.
Friday is the start of Commencement/Reunion Weekend at Brown. Alumni, parents, graduating seniors, and members of the Corporation are expected to attend.
Michael Goldberger, director of athletics and physical education, will join President Ruth J. Simmons for the groundbreaking. He will welcome guests and introduce speakers:
- Kevin A. Mundt, chair of the President’s Advisory Council on Athletics;
- Thomas J. Tisch, chancellor of the University;
- Jonathan Nelson, a University trustee;
- H. Anthony Ittleson, a University trustee.
The groundbreaking marks the beginning of a construction project that will include four new facilities:
- The Nelson Fitness Center will provide 10,000 feet of multiuse space, exercise studios and a café, offering fitness opportunities for the entire campus community;
- The Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center will house a 56-meter pool with state of the art technology;
- The Varsity Strength and Conditioning Center will provide Brown student-athletes dedicated fitness equipment that is necessary for them to compete on a national level;
- The Ittleson Quadrangle will integrate the new facilities in the Erickson Athletic Complex with approximately 2.5 acres of new green space.
Site of the former Smith Swim Center
Hope Street at Cushing (two blocks south of Lloyd Avenue)
3:30 p.m. Friday, May 28, 2010